Friday, March 9, 2012

WIP: The Movie

I'm so excited for Kyra and Rachel's blogfest. I mean, I have a tendency to cast actors for my books anyway, but now I get to share them with lots of other people.

A few basics about Defenders, which is the WIP I'm using. The story centers around a team of six girls, all 16 years old. They're one of many teams of all of different supernatural species who are tasked with defending their city from external attack. For a longer plot description, check out the page.

And here's the cast:

  1. Laurie - Saoirse Ronan

    Laurie Casek - Saoirse Ronan

    Laurie is the main character/narrator of book 1. She's a witch with a strict adherence to the rules and a head for strategy. She's been dreaming about being a Defender since she was a little girl.

  2. Shawn - Mia Wasikowska

    Shawn Doyle - Mia Wasikowska

    Shawn is the secondary narrator for book 1. She's an electric mage, who's perky and perpetually happy, though she sometimes comes across as ditzy.

  3. ZJ - Tanvi Ganesh Lonkar

    ZJ Khayri - Tanvi Ganesh Lonkar

    ZJ is a demon. She's an only child and spoiled, with a dark sense of humor and a cocky attitude.

  4. Kali - Melanie Tonello

    Kali Conway - Melanie Tonello

    Kali is a werewolf, with a strong mothering instinct. She's reasonable, and she tries to keep the peace.

  5. Alexi - Melanie Abramoff

    Alexi Markum - Melanie Abramoff

    Alexi is a fairly small, unimposing berserker. She's far stronger than she looks, both physically and emotionally.

  6. Meg - Molly C. Quinn

    Meg Prescott - Molly C. Quinn

    Meg is the fairy. She's a bit of a dreamer, who loves music and is everyone's little sister.




And the soundtrack. This part was a lot harder for me. This story exists in a world where the concept of love--romantic, familial, etc.--doesn't exist. The word love doesn't even exist.

And do you have any idea how many love songs there are?

But I finally got the idea to look up songs about soldiers, and eventually settled on "Citizen/Soldier" by 3 Doors Down. It looks like it was a promotional piece for the National Guard, which is oddly appropriate, since the Defenders are kind of like a mandatory National Guard for their world.




MBM Tobi 2

And last, but definitely not least, check me out as a guest blogger on Rebecca's blog next week. The topic is plotting vs. plodding. I'm really excited about it, so I hope you all enjoy. Also, go on over and check out yesterday's really informative guest post about querying by Lynn Wiese Sneyd.

14 comments:

  1. Wow, I love your premise, and looks like you have a fun cast! I'm not familiar with any of these actresses!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea of a kick-ass girl army, and the casting looks perfect. Great job on the song too, definitely a good find!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, such a nice premise!
    And you cast is very colorful and beautiful!
    Great choices ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mia Wasikowska is adorable. My hair is short, but hers is super short. I wish I could get away with it!

    Great to hear about your book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love 3 Doors Down! And Meg is gorgeous! What an awesome girl power cast you've got!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing, they look just like I picture them. Especially Tanvi Ganesh Lonkar as ZJ!

    Looking forward to reading your gust post as well. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cool premise, and what a cool looking group of girls! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your choices. So many different personalities!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your premise sounds amazing! I love your choices with their descriptions they seem to be perfect matches.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a cool book! I love 3 Doors Down and your cast looks like a tough group of badass girls! Awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this group of girls! And a world where the concept of love doesn't exist? Interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  12. The story sounds so interesting! Something I'd love to read AND watch! LOL. And I love 3 Doors Down. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cool caste of characters. Good luck with this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just popped over to read your cast of characters after you commented on one of my post that included this question. I love your cast of characters, but I feel so old. I only know of one of the actresses. I really like your soundtrack choice (good thing-because I cannot figure out how to stop it from playing, LOL.

    ReplyDelete