Friday, March 9, 2012

Flash Fiction Friday - 3/9/12

This is my entry for Rachael Harrie's Second Campaigner Challenge. The prompt I chose was this picture:

I went with the 200 word flash fiction, which is also in a genre I don't normally write (Contemporary Romance).

His breath was warm on my cheek as he leaned over my shoulder. “That looks like a screensaver,” he said after a minute. “You know, the kind with the swirls?”

I turned slightly to glare at him, realizing belatedly how close he was. Too close for “just friends.”

“Well, it’s not.”

He shrugged amiably. “Okay,” he said.

I pushed back, exaggerating my anger so I’d have an excuse to get away from those eyes. “I can’t believe you’d reduce beautiful art to a screensaver.”

His lips—perfect, full lips—quirked into a half-smile. “Sure you can,” he argued. “I do it all the time.”

“You can be impossible.”

He smile widened, and he slid closer again. He had to know how much I still wanted him. “Yes,” he breathed, hovering over me, hands resting on the arms of the chair. I tried not to squirm. “I can.”

And then he kissed me, and even though I knew all the reasons we shouldn’t be together, I just couldn’t care when he was holding me that close and making me feel that good.

So even though I knew it would probably kill me, I kissed him and let myself fall again.

10 comments:

  1. Excellent use of that prompt! I haven't seen anyone else interpret it that way, it worked really well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AH. LOVE.
    This was so great! You nailed tension!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes...it can be that way, can't it? (#30)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guess what? You've made it to the second round of judging. Congratulations! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked how you used a totally different view point from this prompt! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're the only one to go with romance! Nicely done! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the cliffhanger at the end and your use of the prompt. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice and original. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the first romance entry I've read. You said a lot with a few words which is great :-)

    ReplyDelete