Friday, March 2, 2012

Flash Fiction Friday - 3/1/12

In an effort to make sure I have at least one blog post a week (not an problem yet, but my blog is still kind of a new toy), I'm going to try to write/post a flash fiction story every Friday. I'm scouring the web looking for good writing prompts for these occasions, so if you know of any sites/books/etc., please let me know.

This is a title prompt that came from flashfiction.net. The title I chose was Yesterday's Promise. And, like most things I write, I have no idea where this came from.

YESTERDAY'S PROMISE

She felt like she could only stare at Lexie in horror. “What… what are you saying?”

“I’m saying it’s over. We can’t do this anymore.”

Trace’s eyes filled with tears, and she shook her head hard. “No. No, you promised. You promised me you wouldn’t do this.”

But Lexie was cold. Unmovable. “That was then.”

“That was yesterday!”

For just a second, Lexie’s marble façade cracked, and her lip quivered. “That was before. Before you outed me in front of the whole school!”

“I… I didn’t mean…”

“No, of course you didn't. You never do. You never think. But this time it wasn’t just you that you brought down in flames. This is my life too.”

“Lex, I—”

“No. You don’t get to talk anymore. And you don’t get to call me nicknames or tell me you love me or give a damn about me. You ruined my life. And there’s nothing you can say to make that better.”

Trace’s heart was in her stomach, and her nose and throat burned with the tears she was barely holding back. “I’m so sorry, Lexie,” she said, her voice nothing more than a whisper.

“Yeah? Well, you can take your sorries and go screw yourself with them,” Lexie said.

And she spun on her heel and walked out of the room and out of Trace’s life.

5 comments:

  1. Very nice, I love what you did with that prompt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that! You can really feel Lexie's anger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well done with just that small prompt! I really liked this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, very emotional. So much anger. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes! It was written as I imagine it would have sounded were it a real dialogue - like a firecracker...no, an M-80! It's a great reminder that sometimes it is best to keep our mouths closed else lose a friendship or relationship.

    ReplyDelete