Friday, March 30, 2012

So Much to Blog About, So Little Time

I'm going to put today's flash fiction in its own post because I have a lot to talk about (because I'm a lazy blogger who didn't want to take the time to write any posts this week). So, first, an update on Rosetta. Well, to start, it's not called Rosetta anymore. It's now the untitled first book of the Capitoline Hill Chronicles. Which means I'm going to have to go back and change all my blogpost labels to match. x_x

Why the name change? Well, "rosetta" is a word with a lot of meaning and some symbolism... none of which related in any way to the book I wrote. Capitoline Hill is one of the seven hills of Rome (and if someone who knows Italian could tell me how to correctly pronounce that), and the myth is that Romulus built a fortress on it that would serve as a sanctuary for the Romans if the city was ever attacked. This seems much more like something that werewolves would name their compound.

Also, I'm done with my second draft! I'm not sure exactly what happened last Friday, but once I finally committed to working on it, I edited ~260 pages from Friday to Wednesday. I didn't do any of the nitty-gritty edits so there's still a lot left to do, but I think the book's actually in the order I want now, and I hopefully fixed most--if not all--of my continuity issues. I'm getting to the point where I'm almost ready to possibly be proud of certain part of it. I actually made myself cry a little while I was working on it... and it wasn't because the chapter sucked!

Next bit of awesome news: I'm being featured on a blog today! I was one of the winners for this month's Knights of Microfiction (along with Stephanie at Word by Word), so Kathy at Imagine Today interviewed me and featured me on her blog. Go check out my thoughts on life (writing), liberty (television), and the pursuit of happiness (Vanilla Coke).

Also, yesterday kicked off the triannual YA Scavenger Hunt. There are 60 authors giving away cool prizes, so you should definitely head over and check it out. I did the YELLOW team puzzle yesterday, and I think I'm going to work on RED next. They're fun, and a great opportunity to check out some YA authors with whom you might not be familiar.

Also also, you should go check out Kindles for Kids if you haven't already. It's for a great cause, and you can submit a short story or enter a contest to win some awesome prizes.

Who's excited about the Blogging from A-Z Challenge? This is my first year entering, so I'm pretty psyched, even if I've only come up with, like, seven of my topics.

I... think that's it. For now. Stay tuned for my Flash Fiction Friday update later (you know, after I write it).

6 comments:

  1. Impressive amount of editing! You are my hero!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! Still a long way to go though. In a lot of places, I just copied and pasted sections from my first draft to get them in the right order. I haven't even gotten to the hard part yet. :-)

      Delete
  2. SWEET!!! Yay for finishing draft 2 and yay for A to Z! Gosh, all this stuff is so freakin' exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Haha, there's always so much to do around here!

      Delete
  3. I thought about doing the scavenger hunt, but I kinda suck at those things. I'm rooting for you!

    As for the A to Z Challenge, I'll be lurking around, but I'm too busy with my rewrite (and LIFE!) to join in.

    I look forward to reading your entries, Tobi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't understand. What is this "life" you speak of? ;)

      I'll be using A-Z as a way to pad my daily word count without having to actually write Defenders much (and, oh, that's so sad).

      Thanks! :)

      Delete