Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Flash Fiction Blogfest

Cherie Reich is hosting a flash fiction blogfest that ends today. The rules are:

    Here are the rules:
  1. Entries must begin with the two words: Lightning flashed.
  2. Entries must be 300 words or less and be in prose.
  3. Entries must be posted on your blog between May 21 - 23.
  4. You must sign up in the linky to have your entry be counted.

And here's my entry. This was... cathartic:

Lightning flashed. Thunder crashed. Rain poured.

I heard none of it.

My brain buzzed. Dead, dead, dead.

No.

He couldn't be dead. I had to get there in time.

I had to save him.

"Chase!" I knew he wouldn't be able to hear me, not over the thunder and the rain and the dead, dead, dead, but I willed him to realize I was coming. Willed him to have hope.

Willed him to live.

Then I heard the scream.

"No!" I took the turn too fast, sliding on wet grass and landing hard on my knee, but I only felt numb. "Chase!"

I hit the clearing at a dead run, and I didn't stop to think about the fact that I was small and weak. I just saw the ungodly figure rise up with Chase—my Chase—defenseless below it.

I jumped on its back.

It roared and bucked, but I clung to it as it rose to its full, 14-foot height.

I didn't look down.

The hilt of my knife pressed into my hip, and I fumbled for it. In a swift, confident motion, I ran it up into the spot where the jaw meets the ear. Blood soaked me, pungent and inhuman, but I forced the blade farther, slicing across, severing the head.

It fell, but I rolled away and was crawling to Chase before the ground settled. "Chase." Tears burned my nose. Every part of him looked broken or bleeding. I didn't know where I could touch.

Dead, dead, dead.

Then he coughed. "Lex?"

I laughed, watery and almost hysterical. "Yeah."

Another cough, a little stronger. "Remember when I said I wanted to go camping?"

"Yeah?"

He opened one eye, and the knot of tears in my throat broke as he said, "I'm sorry about that."

18 comments:

  1. You are a SUPER STAR. Yup. Here's your gold star. That was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for entering my 2nd Annual Flash Fiction Blogfest! The six finalists will be announced on Friday, May 25th. I will further comment on your entry on Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked that you left the monster somewhat ambiguous. I imagined some reptilian dragon of sorts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I like it! And you totally give me a giggle at the end and those are the best! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes. Now I don't want to go camping. LOL. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha, what a great ending! You are so good with flash fiction!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Intense! I loved the ending too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha ha. Love it! The ending definitely caught me off guard.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved the ending. Glad he wasn't dead, dead, dead.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Intense scene with a humerous ending. Nice entry!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like how your brought the humor into the end of an otherwise scary story!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww! So great! I really enjoyed this flash fiction story. The repetition was brilliant and created a good voice and intensity.

    I'll announce the finalists tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You did really well in creating suspense. I also liked the humor in the end. It's impressive how you brought such a short piece to a good close.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That was suspenseful. I'm glad Chase is okay.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That was a whole lot of awesome. Your pacing was perfect, and Lex's victory, just thrilling. That last bit was a great release for all the tension! :-) Great piece.
    Some Dark Romantic

    ReplyDelete
  16. That was really intense! I felt the adrenaline all the way through. Wonderful scene! :)

    ReplyDelete