Monday, May 14, 2012

First Loves Blogfest... and an update

I know it's only just barely still May 14, but today is Alex J. Cavanaugh's First Loves Blogfest. I've been slacking on reading blogs for the past week, but I'm looking forward to checking out everyone else's first loves. Here are mine:

  • First movie: A League of Their Own.

    Still is, actually. I played softball until high school, and my mom and I used to watch this movie every year at the start of the season. I still can't turn it off when I catch it on TV. I own two copies of it (the regular and the anniversary edition with the special features). It solidified Tom Hanks' status as my favorite actor of all-time.
  • First song/band: Ah, this one is a bit more embarrassing. I've always been surrounded by music, and I have a diverse and eclectic taste, but I have to admit that my first music love was Dream Street.

    I was in middle school when I first heard about this band where the singers were all my age or a few years older. This was before the Disney Channel kids really came out in full force, back when there were just a handful of "kid" singers. I thought this was the coolest thing. I listened to the CD so much I think my parents still know all the words, and I actually cried when they broke up. The biggest regret I had as a kid was that I never got to see them in concert.
  • First book: I'm assuming a book series counts, so probably The Babysitters Club.

    Even when I was little I loved to read, but this is the first time I can remember being consumed by a book. I devoured these. And they were like a gateway drug to the world of book series. To this day, I prefer a series to a standalone (both in reading and writing) because I love growing attached to characters and watching them develop over time. Who among those of us who read the BSC books doesn't remember when Stacey was "too cool" for the others and how heart-breaking it was to watch her walk away from them? And how exhilarating it was when she came back? Or when Kristy met a boy who actually made her want to act a little bit like a girl? Fond memories. Hmm, I think I still have one or two of them stashed away somewhere...
  • First person: Is it a cop out if I say I've never been in love? I mean, I've had crushes (lots of crushes), but not love. Unless you count one of the Dream Street boys (Matt... it was all about Matt for me). Then I'm totally there. ;-) Or, you know, my parents, since love doesn't have to be romantic. Sure, let's go with that.

And now for a quick update. Sorry I've been so lame about reading blogs and keeping up with Twitter. It was a crazy week, and it doesn't seem like it's going to get less crazy until after Memorial Day. It's mostly good stuff, but just a lot of it. Which means, in part, that I haven't written in four days, and I've taken up playing computer games again (not good for someone with my level of addiction). I'm still mulling ideas around for Defenders, and I think the ending is starting to take shape (which would be a lot better if I'd finished chapter 11). I'm also, to a lesser extent, plotting Bex.

As for reading, I finished Insurgent a week or so ago, and it was awesome. And as is my MO after reading an awesome book, I couldn't just jump into another, so I'm rereading some books that have sequels being released this month. First was Rachel Vincent's Blood Bound. Now I'm doing Jennifer Lynn Barnes' Raised by Wolves series.

Happy belated Mother's Day to all the wonderful moms out there. We had a great one. My brother and I started it by making my mom breakfast. No kidding, watching my brother cook bacon is one of the highlights of my year. He only does it for special occasions, and it's usually accompanied by screaming and dancing to avoid spatter. And we set the smoke detectors off. Every year. Afterwards, we all just hung out in the backyard for the rest of the day. Simple and low-key, but full of togetherness and love. I hope everyone's day was as peaceful and warm.

Also, I completely forgot about Flash Fiction Friday last week. But I have a good excuse. I was watching my little brother graduate from college (ah! I'm so old!). I'm so proud of him.

And that's pretty much it for me. Like I said, I'll be in and out for the next few weeks. Hopefully at some point I'll get some time to catch up before I completely drown. And if someone could just kind of shove me if I'm missing something important, that'd be great too. Hope everyone's doing well!

5 comments:

  1. I think Matt from Dream Street totally counts! And congrats to your brother :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost picked The Babysitters Club for my first love too - I was obsessed with those books! I've recently been considering trying to collect them again lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good picks! And there's no crying in baseball or blogging.
    Thanks for participating in my blogfest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A League of Their Own! Great choice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great choices! Love will still come, no rush :)

    Sharing the Love!
    English Speaking Zone

    ReplyDelete