Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Putting Unpublished Work Online--How Much Is Too Much?

So I was thinking about doing the Valentine's Day blogfest, and I had a scene picked out from Rosetta and everything, but I stopped before I hit Publish. I know that when you put your whole unpublished story online, it's considered published, and that can ruin your chances of some agents/editors picking it up. But what about excerpts? General online consensus seemed to be don't do it, but they also seemed to be talking about entire chapters, not a 500-word scene from a 75,000-word book. Does anyone have some good advice on the subject, or know where I might find some? I suppose I could just change the names and some small details and not have to worry, but it's still probably a good thing to know for the future.

Thanks in advance!

3 comments:

  1. This is actually something I am really interested in too. I have worried about it a lot - and I don't imagine small excerpts are such a big deal, but I would be interested to know more.

    I figure if it's a problem, I can simply take out the excerpts. I had a friend who once had a story published that was on a website of mine. She asked me to take it down, and there were no problems for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I'm not to worried about it because it's only a snippet, not an entire scene. I give more away in a synopsis than in a 250 words excerpt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greate post. Keep writing such kind of information on your page.
    Im really impressed by it.
    Hi there, You've performed a great job. I will certainly digg it and individually suggest to my friends. I am confident they will be benefited from this site.

    My web blog - how to make a bit of extra money

    ReplyDelete