Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Teaser Tuesday - 1/13/15


Photo credit: Barnes & Noble

I've been meaning to read The Princess Bride ever since I saw the movie, and I finally realized the library had ebook copies to check out. Score! So far, it's every bit as quirky and fun as the movie.

Anyone who lived through the 1980s may find it impossible—inconceivable, even—to equate The Princess Bride with anything other than the sweet, celluloid romance of Westley and Buttercup, but the film is only a fraction of the ingenious storytelling you'll find in these pages. Rich in character and satire, the novel is set in 1941 and framed cleverly as an “abridged” retelling of a centuries-old tale set in the fabled country of Florin that's home to “Beasts of all natures and descriptions. Pain. Death. Brave men. Coward men. Strongest men. Chases. Escapes. Lies. Truths. Passions.”

The rules for Teaser Tuesday are:

  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!
  • Then hit up Should Be Reading to add your link.

And the teaser:

The horse’s name was “Horse” (Buttercup was never long on imagination) and it came when she called it, went where she steered it, did what she told it. The farm boy did what she told him too. Actually, he was more a young man now, but he had been a farm boy when, orphaned, he had come to work for her father, and Buttercup referred to him that way still.

8 comments:

  1. OMG! One of my very favorite books! I'm so glad you're reading it! You're right, you really miss out if you only see the movie. Great teaser! Here's my TT. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. definitely reading fills in a lot that movies leave out. glad for libraries!
    enjoy the read :)
    Here's MINE

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've yet to see the movie or read the book, but yeah, there's so many cases where the book has more to offer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the movie, its one of my favorites, never thought to read the book, I often have a hard time reading the book after seeing the movie, but maybe I will give this one a try. Here is my TT: http://www.readinggrrl.com/2015/01/teaser-tuesday-january-13.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. As soon as I saw the cover, I thought of Zorro. :-)
    sherry @ fundinmental My TT ~ Gone Before Goodbye by Nora Leduc

    ReplyDelete
  6. The movie was so good. I should read the book. That teaser is too fun!

    My TT - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/01/13/teaser-tuesdays-95-growl/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I attempted to read the original years ago. I read the intro from the author, which totally turned my stomach, and then I read probably the first third. It was that intro that destroyed the book for me. Truly, I couldn't stand the author. If I hadn't known anything about him, I think I'd have loved the book, because it was stinkin' hilarious. *sigh* TMI, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  8. A favorite of mine as well!! I should re-read...
    My teaser from this week: http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/2015/01/teaser-tuesdays-january-13-2015.html

    ReplyDelete