Thursday, January 16, 2014

2014 New Year's Resolutions

It's unusual for me to let half of January go by without writing down my new year's resolutions. I know a lot of people disregard this as a waste of time, or setting yourself up to fail, or any number of things, but I've always taking resolution writing pretty seriously. I think about it carefully, write them all down, go back sometime in the summer to see if I'm making any progress towards them, then evaluate at the end of the year. I like taking the time to be introspective. Plus, I always feel more grounded if I have goals.

2013 was a huge year for me. I wiped a couple big-ticket items off my bucket list, including publishing Pack Mentality, and because of that, I was floundering a bit when it came to deciding on this year's resolutions. But I've finally got some ideas--both personal and professional--and I thought, "What better place to write them down than the internet, where I can never lose them?" So here goes.

  1. Publish CH2. I'm about halfway through my first round of edits on the second Capitoline Hill book, so I'm pretty optimistic about this. Right now, I'm planning for an early October release. You can keep up with the details by adding the book on Goodreads. Also, keep an eye out for a giveaway or two as it the release gets closer.
  2. Write 1-2 more novels. Writing Bex and CH3 was one of my resolutions for 2013, but it never came to pass, so I'm taking another stab at it this year. I'm pretty sure Bex is a standalone, so I'd love to get that out into the world soon, and CH3 is basically entirely written in my head; I just need to put it on paper.
  3. Read one nonfiction book. I'll admit I blatantly stole this from last year's resolutions, but it's still something I'd like to accomplish. Because seriously, it's just getting sad now.
  4. Create and maintain a writing/blogging schedule. These go together. Basically, I just want to be more professional about my craft. Right now, I'm still doing a lot of the "write when the muse hits" thing, but I know if I want to start seeing more results, I have to be willing to put in the time... even when it's hard.
  5. Dramatically reduce procrastination. This applies to both the personal and the professional. Not only do I occasionally get myself in trouble with my procrastination, but it causes me a lot of anxiety.

I think that's enough for now. Anyone else have some resolutions they'd like to share?

2 comments:

  1. Wow, where have I been?! Didn't even realise you'd published! I am back in the loop now so I will be paying more attention!

    Good luck with this year's resolutions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tobi, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete