Thursday, December 1, 2011

Celebration!

That's right, I did it. I completed my second National Novel Writing Month competition. And, perhaps even more unbelievably, I don't hate my novel after finishing it. I think that's because I didn't work on it exclusively this time. It gave me more time actually appreciate what I was writing.

And I'm not done. I finished on November 28, then I took a few days off (well, I severely decreased my writing amount at least. I think I wrote less than 500 words combined). Today I start my own personal mini-NaNo. My goal for the month of December is to write 31,000 more words. Hopefully most of them will be for Rosetta. My big goal is to have the first draft of Rosetta done by the end of the year, though that will take more than 31,000 words (it's currently at 35,000, so I need to double that at least). At the very least, I should be circling in for a landing by the time this month is over.

It's going pretty well, I think. The story's moving along. Kim and my mom both seem to like it. I think I'm finally figuring out how to go from where I am now to where I need the story to be. And I've even accepted that my characters are going to do things I don't like or approve of, and I'm learning to roll with the changes (except you, Ben. You need to stay in line).

This is the best I've felt about my writing in a long time. Here's hoping next month just gets better. You can track my progress (and mood) with the progress bar on the right side.

Congratulations to everyone else who participated in NaNoWriMo. Whether you won or not, embracing the desire to write is half the battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment