Friday, October 21, 2011

So Much More Than You Want to Know

Welcome to the latest installment in the One DV Rebel series. This blog could alternately be titled Misadventures in Writing, as it will chronicle my journey through writing and completing the first novel in what will hopefully become a series.

Some background about me: When I was three years old, I told my parents I wanted to be a writer. A couple decades later, I'm still telling them that, and they're still encouraging me to follow my dreams. I work full-time for a publishing company (that sadly does not publish the type of books I hope to write), and I spend my free time watching TV. When I'm not coming up with new ways to procrastinate, I occasionally jot a few words down on a page.

I've completed three novels to date, and I don't believe any one of them is good enough to send for publication. The first was cute, but I finished it when I was twelve, and it reads like that. The second, my first serious novel, lacks basic plot elements, though it was enjoyable to write and probably isn't as bad as I think it is. After my second novel, I burned out on a project that went awry, and it took me a long time to get back into writing, so I'm proceeding with caution.

We don't talk about my third novel.

My friend Kim and I have an arrangement: every two weeks we exchange the next chapter of our books. Once every two months, we do an edit. I have focus issues, so this system is a godsend. For the first time, I feel confident that I can complete this book, and that it will be good enough to let other people read when I do.

This novel, tentatively titled Rosetta, is an urban fantasy book about a girl returning to her werewolf pack after being gone for five years. One of her brothers left a few months ago to live amongst humans, and she arrives home to find her only sister just left too. Tired of being abandoned, Quinn immerses herself in Pack life again, only to find that she's going to be much more involved than she thought she was.

I'm not sure what I want this blog to be yet (except a new way for me to waste time), so expect rants, musings, and occasionally long periods of silence (lets pretend I'm actually writing during those times). And, hey, if you have any interesting writing stories to share, let me know. I'm always looking for inspiration... or at least a good laugh.

1 comment:

  1. We should talk about your third novel, it has potential! Just needs a good shine, but I'll stay mum besides that point. I'm eagerly awaiting your writing rants ^_^

    Also... *poke poke* You must blog about the latest Castle episode soon, and I can't wait to hear your thoughts on Once Upon a Time and Grimm (two shows I am eagerly awaiting with fingers crossed that they're fun)

    ReplyDelete